Nutrimuscle Forum : Mobile & Tablette

Arm Development by Michael Gundill

Actualités sport, fitness & musculation, vidéos des pros, études scientifiques. Discutez avec la communauté Nutrimuscle et partagez votre expérience...

Modérateurs: Nutrimuscle-Conseils, Nutrimuscle-Diététique

Arm Development by Michael Gundill

Messagepar le-chêne » 18 Déc 2008 23:27

The brachialis is a key muscle for maximum arm development. If you compare the current champions to the older superstars, you’ll realize that the hypertrophy of the brachialis is much more pronounced nowadays than it was in the past. The brachialis represents at least three-fourths the size of the modern champ’s biceps. In fact, in some the brachialis actually appears larger than the biceps.

Unfortunately, most average bodybuilders neglect their brachialis and focus exclusively on biceps and triceps. By following a specialized routine targeting an underdeveloped brachialis, though, you can easily gain an inch on your arms.

A well-built brachialis is aesthetically a very important muscle. Jean-Claude Van Damme’s arms are a good example. They’re not big, yet they look impressive onscreen because of his well-developed brachialis. That’s important if you’re wearing a T-shirt that reveals only the lower parts of your upper arms.

When you curl with your thumbs up, your biceps are placed in a weaker position than with regular curls. Bodybuilding folklore claims that to compensate for that weakness, the brachialis takes over. Research using electromyographic (EMG) analysis supports that belief.1

Even if the brachialis works more during hammer curls than regular curls, it’s not a guarantee that your brachialis recruitment will be significant enough to trigger hypertrophy. I assumed mine was until I tried spider curls. After a few reps I felt my brachialis muscles blow up like balloons, a sensation I’d never had with any other exercise. That’s when I understood that I’d never really recruited my brachialis before. I believe that’s true of most natural bodybuilders, judging by the appearance of their arms.

The brachialis is one of the trickiest muscles for natural bodybuilders to develop (the upper-chest and rear-shoulder muscle groups are also a challenge). Unless you’re naturally gifted, it’s very difficult to recruit the brachialis, in part because of highly variable levels of neuronal innervation among individuals.2 What’s more, your left and right brachialis are unlikely to respond equally to curls. For example, my right brachialis is preferentially recruited by spider curls. Conversely, my left brachialis needs to be much closer to my head to produce a significant contraction.

As I look at the pros’ brachialis muscles, I realize I’m not the only one with that problem. Most of them have very uneven brachialis development, which is most obvious during a back double-biceps pose. People wrongly assume that uneven biceps hypertrophy causes the imbalance.

Important Notes

An imbalance of development between the brachialis and the biceps can result in pain in the elbow area that can prove a significant obstacle when working your biceps.

The brachialis is also recruited during basic back exercises. By working it, you will become stronger in those back movements, indirectly resulting in a better back. After a few workouts of brachialis specialization my performance on back exercises improved significantly. I noticed that for the first time my brachialis muscles were sore after a back workout, which showed I was starting to learn how to recruit the muscle.

Which exercises?

There are four major brachialis exercises. Two play on wrist placement: hammer curls and reverse curls. You can do both with free weights or cables. Don’t forget to experiment with various degrees of wrist rotation. The other two—spider curls and overhead cable curls—use the biceps position as the main stimulus. The closer to the head the biceps is, the more the brachialis will come into play.

My brachialis muscles are much more sensitive to my biceps placement than to my wrist position. The pump induced makes it easy to tell when you work the brachialis properly. Most bodybuilders will need to learn how to contract their brachialis. To speed up that learning process, I recommend you work one arm at a time rather than both arms simultaneously.

—Michael Gündill

References

1 Naito, A., et al. (1995). Electromyographic (EMG) study of the elbow flexors during supination and pronation of the forearm. Tohoku J Exp Med. 175:285. 2 Mahakkanukrauh P., and Somsarp, V. (2002). Dual innervation of the brachialis muscle. Clin Anat. 15:206-9.
le-chêne

Messagepar le-chêne » 18 Déc 2008 23:28

Reverse Curls
Shift your arm gains into overdrive

I was very impressed by recent pictures of Ronnie Coleman’s arms. An old school of thought holds that having slightly underdeveloped forearms makes your biceps appear larger. I think the current Mr. Olympia proves that theory wrong. The forearms should be worked hard. That will make them not only impressive but also very strong, which comes in handy when training your back, biceps, triceps and even chest. Weak forearms, though, can prove a major weak link in most upper-body exercises. The reverse curl is a good exercise not only for the biceps and forearms but also for the lesser known muscles such as the brachialis and the brachioradialis. The brachioradialis is a very important yet neglected muscle. Even though it won’t add a single inch when you measure your arms—it’s not long enough to be taken into account by the tape—it adds width to your upper arms. It’s also the major muscle that ties the biceps to the forearms. The illustration shows you what a well-developed brachioradialis should look like. Even in a relaxed position, when your arms are hanging by your side, a hypertrophied brachioradialis will fill the hole many bodybuilders have between their biceps and forearms. Look at the brachioradialis muscles sported by Dexter Jackson and Kevin Levrone. They’re one of the reasons their arms look so good, so wide, so mature. Of course, both champions are blessed with pretty long brachioradialis muscles —unfortunately, not the case for everyone. But if you want to make your upper arms more impressive in a short space of time, those are the muscles to start working on. As for the brachialis, I’ve discussed it at length in this space, so I’ll mention it only briefly. It’s located just below the biceps. The bigger your brachialis is, the more it will push your biceps up. The brachialis is supposed to be about the same size as the biceps, but that’s rarely the case. By putting extra effort into working it, you can quickly add inches and impressive detail to your upper arm. Like the brachioradialis, the brachialis provides extra strength during your biceps and back workouts. Injury is another concern. Forearms are easily injured. Even a slight pain can prevent you from training your upper body at maximum intensity. So as with the shoulders, the elbows or the knees, be very careful with your forearms. There are several reasons it’s easy to injure your forearms. That muscle group rarely rests; you use your forearms during all upper-body exercises. They’re even taxed when you’re working legs. You have to carry the plates and hold the heavy squat bar, after all. Another reason is the muscle imbalances you may create. When most people train biceps, triceps and lats, they stimulate the muscles located at the back of the forearms, neglecting those at the front. I’ve also previously discussed the valgus problem. Look at a mirror with your palms facing it. You’ll realize that your arms aren’t straight at all. Now gently curl your arms up while keeping your upper arms firmly against your body. You’ll see that your arms don’t rotate in a straight path but both up and outward. That’s the natural path for people having a pronounced valgus. So over the years something has to give—your joints at the shoulder, elbow and/or wrist level. Your forearm tendons and muscles are also not likely to appreciate the unnatural constraints you impose on them when using a straight bar. An EZ-curl bar can help you to an extent, but often not enough. Dumbbells or single-arm cable curls are usually much safer. If your arms are relatively straight, a straight bar is fine. It’s the simplest variation. The main problem here is that your range of motion is limited, especially for working the brachioradialis.If a straight bar doesn’t feel right, try an EZ-curl bar, which will be much gentler on your wrists. If you have a pronounced valgus, try dumbbells. It’s more difficult to balance dumbbells with a reverse grip, but that can be an advantage. You can rotate your wrist to increase the forearm’s muscular involvement. The idea is to start with a hammer grip (thumbs to the front). As you lift the dumbbell, rotate your wrist so that your thumbs turn in and you have a reverse grip in the contracted position. Last but not least, with dumbbells you work one arm at a time. Unilateral work increases your ability to handle heavier poundages and to concentrate better on the working muscles. My favorite version is with a cable—the gentlest variation for the elbow and wrist. Use a single handle attached to a low pulley. That lets you rotate your wrist properly. Also try rotating your forearm out at the top so it’s angled slightly away from your torso and raise your elbow for a greater range of motion. That’s a unique advantage of the continuous tension of the pulley, as opposed to the very random tension of the free weights.

—Michael Gündill
le-chêne

Messagepar thanos999 » 19 Déc 2008 12:30

thanos999

Messagepar Free » 19 Déc 2008 15:51

Vraiment très interessant, d'où proviennent ces articles ?
Nutrimuscle-Conseil, est-ce à dire que tu recommandes de travailler spécifiquement les avant-bras ?
Ou justement le fait qu'ils travaillent déjà avec tous les exos annexe est suffisant quand on est encore +/- débutant ?
Free

Messagepar thanos999 » 21 Déc 2008 20:42

Sur cette machine ça bosse donc le brachial ?

thanos999

Messagepar thanos999 » 21 Déc 2008 20:42

Et en biceps vis-à-vis en ayant les bras en croix bien étiré et les coudes pas trop hauts ça bosse bien le chef court du biceps ?
thanos999

Messagepar Nutrimuscle-Conseils » 21 Déc 2008 21:11

thanos999 a écrit:Sur cette machine ça bosse donc le brachial ?

c'est un mixe bi-brachial vu que le coude est à mis hauteur
Nutrimuscle-Conseils
Forum Admin

Messagepar Nutrimuscle-Conseils » 21 Déc 2008 21:13

Free a écrit:Vraiment très interessant, d'où proviennent ces articles ?
Nutrimuscle-Conseil, est-ce à dire que tu recommandes de travailler spécifiquement les avant-bras ?
Ou justement le fait qu'ils travaillent déjà avec tous les exos annexe est suffisant quand on est encore +/- débutant ?

ce sont des articles tirés d'IronMan
pour les avants-bras, c'est à toi de voir s'ils sont assez gros naturellement ou non
il n'y a pas de régle
Nutrimuscle-Conseils
Forum Admin

Messagepar Persephone » 21 Déc 2008 21:35

Les avants-bras, ce n'est jamais trop gros sur un naturel :P
Persephone

Messagepar Nutrimuscle-Conseils » 21 Déc 2008 22:08

il y a pas mal de gens qui naturellement, ont des avants-bras plus gros que leurs bras
Nutrimuscle-Conseils
Forum Admin

Messagepar Persephone » 21 Déc 2008 22:15

Oui. C'est mon cas.
Mais bon, je n'ai jamais vu un naturel avec trop d'avant-bras (pour mes goûts, évidemment).
Persephone

Messagepar Nutrimuscle-Conseils » 21 Déc 2008 22:18

tu n'as pas intérêt à les travailler sinon ils prendront toujours l'ascendant sur tes biceps
Nutrimuscle-Conseils
Forum Admin

Messagepar Persephone » 21 Déc 2008 22:46

C'était avant que je m'entraîne.
Maintenant mes bras sont plus gros que mes avants-bras et je le regrette presque.
J'adore les gros avants-bras.
Je pense que ce qui me plaît c'est que cette partie du corps véhicule facilement une "idée" parce qu'on peut les voir sans se déshabiller. On ne voit pas tout, mais on peut penser.
"L'idée", "l'imagination", c'est quelque chose de fort.
Persephone

Messagepar Nutrimuscle-Conseils » 21 Déc 2008 23:57

tu les bosses un peu, et ils redeviendront plus gros
Dernière édition par Nutrimuscle-Conseils le 22 Déc 2008 09:25, édité 1 fois.
Nutrimuscle-Conseils
Forum Admin

Messagepar Persephone » 22 Déc 2008 00:17

J'aimerais bien mais je n'ai toujours pas trouvé d'exercice d'isolation qui me permette de les travailler efficacement (j'entends par là: bien les sentir et ne pas me faire mal).

Le "reverse curl" me détraque l'articulation du coude droit; le "wrist curl" et le "reverse wrist curl" me bousillent les poignets quand ça devient lourd.
Je peux faire les rotations de poignet mais ce n'est pas complet.
Persephone

Suivante

Retourner vers Actualités, vidéos, études scientifiques